Tuesday 5 March 2013

Reflections

It's my birthday tomorrow.  I've completed the first year in my 30's.  This time last year I was scared - I hated the idea of leaving my twenties behind me; it felt old and in comparing my life to my peers I just felt that I needed to have achieved more than I had done.

I now know that this was not true.  So my life wasn't exactly where I thought it would be when I was twenty.  Whose is?  I had something that was so much better and I have never been so happy as I am now.

With my 31st birthday looming on the horizon, this seemed like the ideal time to reflect on the last year and choose 31 things that stand out to me - little or large.
Photo credit to http://ohman-itsme.deviantart.com/
1) 30 is just a number.  As cliched as it sounds, it really is about your attitude towards your life.  As long as you are happy then that is all that matters. 

2) I cannot handle my drink the way I could in my twenties.  Hangovers last a lot longer now.

3) I am much more comfortable in my own skin in my 30's.  I feel under less pressure to diet and exercise (I never really did either, I just ignored the pressure) and I am a lot happier with the way I look.  I still get days when I hate the mirror and I'm still not at the point where I can go 'phwar' at myself.  Mentally it's easier to get past now.

4) It continuously amazes me how strong Mr M and I are as a team.  This year flung things at us that I was convinced would break us as individuals.  Together we will always fight and we hold each other up.

5) Your friends are so precious - even spending a couple of hours with someone once every few years is something to be treasured.

6) Holidays are fantastic.  Margaritas on holiday are better.  Frozen margaritas are the best.

7) Being asked to be a bridesmaid is more emotional than I had originally suspected.

8)  I'm so lucky to have such truly wonderful, amazing, funny, loving parents.  I'm even luckier to have married into a family with loving and supportive in-laws as well.

9) I thought I knew about make-up.  Apparently I closed my eyes in my twenties and someone changed all the rules.  It's a scary world out there.

10) I like sleeping in a high bed.  
Photo via all oftheanimals.blogspot.co.uk
11) Even the worst art in the world is fun when you have a friend who is equally as bemused by it as you are!

12) Blogging is something I never thought I would enjoy.

13) Directing is something I never thought I would enjoy.

14) I'm not as disorganised as I thought I was.

15) It's strange how a different work environment can change your mental attitude. 

16) Convertible cars are fun.

17) When you decide to stop worrying about the future, you enjoy the present so much more.  

 18) Playing the piano still relaxes me.

18) I may have a *slight* issue with jewellery and shoes.

19) I still love Zelda.  Playing Zelda with my sister for 24 hours still makes us both laugh like it did when we were children.

20) I think I am addicted to chillies.
Dorset Naga Chillies.  I'm salivating as I write this.
21) Camera's aren't as complicated as I originally thought; if you spend some time to actually work out what all the numbers mean.

22) Karaoke isn't as scary as I thought.

23) Afternoon tea is the perfect way to catch up with the girls.  There is always time for cake.

24) My sister is wonderful.  Strong and resourceful.  Good with kids as well.

25) I like slow cooked beef.

26) Pinterest is dangerously addictive.

27) My husband is a good darts player.

28) Gaming is a lot of fun.  Especially when wine is involved. 

29) True friends will always be there for you.  Just make sure you return the favour.

30)  I can cut the cats claws. 

31) I thought I knew how deep my love was for my husband.  Every day it gets deeper and deeper.

So - not the best list in the world, but not bad.  It's been a strange year, tumultuous and funny, scary and exciting, mind-numbingly awful and adrenaline rushing wonderful.  I wouldn't change a day of it, not even the bad ones as they have been the ones that have proven to me that I am strong, I can cope and I will always come out on top and fighting.  Things don't always work out the way you think that they should or want them to but as long as you try and stay positive, hopefully they will work out in a way that is better than anything you could have imagined before.  All you can ever do is be true to yourself, your morals, your values and never compromise yourself or your loved ones.  As long as you do that, you can never lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment