Monday 2 December 2013

Baking Bad

I was debating whether or not to put this up, but decided to as it is a good example of when things just go wrong and you have absolutely no idea why.  You rarely see bloggers post about the mistakes but I think that as I catalogue recipes it's only fair to hold my hands up when it doesn't go exactly according to plan.
This is a Pear and Ginger Frangipane Tart.  At least, that was what it was supposed to be.  It was a simple recipe, a basic frangipane made from almonds, flour, eggs and spices, layered with pear slices and baked and then drizzled with a dark vanilla caramel.

It looked and smelt fantastic.
Then we tasted it.
I don't know what happened but it tasted like a mixture of chemical plastic and burnt rubber.  It was so bad that Steve actually checked if I had left a plastic casing in the base of the pre-bought sweet pastry case I used.  I hadn't -  I'm a bit scatty sometimes but I'm not that bad.
This is an example of when baking goes bad.  We both had a mouthful and then binned it.
Never again.

No comments:

Post a Comment